member of:Observers of the Interdependence of Domestic Objects and Their Influence on Everyday Life


This group has been active for a long time and has already made some remarkable assertions which render life simpler from the practical point of view. For example, I move a pot of green color five centimeters to the right, I push in the thumbtack beside the comb and if Mr. A (another adherent like me) at this moment puts his volume about bee-keeping beside a pattern for cutting out vests, I am sure to meet on the sidewalk of the avenida Madero a woman who intrigues me and whose origin and address I never could have known...
--Remedios Varo


(Slideshow is of Artwork by Remedios Varo)
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
--Franz Kafka

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bill Carman

Bill Carman...


"Assassins of Piety"


"Carnivore Pond"

...says he was born "on the floor of a house in Seoul, Korea. I was 11 pounds 14 ounces with a banana shaped head."
He describes his family and himself thusly:
"I have a family. My mother was a Korean smuggler, my father a top secret government guy,my wife is a P.I., I always feel like I’m being followed, I hike, I read, and I fish."


"Prototype"

He's creating the artwork for the Idaho Opera's 2008-2009 performances.



"Test Ride"
Please don't miss the robot pooper-scooper complete with a trashcan, rolling along underneath the dog above....


"We Made a Baby"
(!)

There's no more need for the turtle versus the hare, as we can see here...the rabbits can just help the poor slow turtle along:



He teaches at Boise State University. Aside from fine art paintings, he also illustrates books, for example one called What's That Noise? Here's the answer:



He says:
"Things seem to crawl from my brain, through a sketchbook, and end up on some beautiful surface."


Rather the Garden
Bill says:
"Here is the beginning of yet another series. I've wanted to do this for some time now. It's roots lie with Bosch, (On a side note how cool would it be to have the name Hieronymus. Of course growing up would be hell but if one could make it through those formative years it would make a great adult name.) who has always been an inspiration. Just a group of characters whose goal is the garden instead of the other place. Of course most are doomed to fail just because their physical traits place them in hell but if they are good enough who knows. I will have a book of about twenty of these in the end. Each piece is either 2"x 2" or 3"x 3"."


"Garden 4"


"Garden 5"


"Garden 6"


A series he refers to as "The Animal Witness Protection Program," his more affordable work :)


"Witness Bear"


"Witness Pig"


"Witness Cat"
("Sometimes Kitty wants to eat her cartoon Witness Protection mask...")

Bill Carman's BLOG is a great place to be...Visit!

3 comments:

  1. This one is new for me!!!! My favorite is the egg with legs. Thanks Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, things that crawl out his mind:) Amazing ideas, another beautiful post! Thank you Zoe, you made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unusual and imaginative! Like vesna, I was impressed by the way he describes his creative process:

    "Things seem to crawl from my brain, through a sketchbook, and end up on some beautiful surface."

    Sounds like a "miracle" :-)

    ReplyDelete