member of:Observers of the Interdependence of Domestic Objects and Their Influence on Everyday Life


This group has been active for a long time and has already made some remarkable assertions which render life simpler from the practical point of view. For example, I move a pot of green color five centimeters to the right, I push in the thumbtack beside the comb and if Mr. A (another adherent like me) at this moment puts his volume about bee-keeping beside a pattern for cutting out vests, I am sure to meet on the sidewalk of the avenida Madero a woman who intrigues me and whose origin and address I never could have known...
--Remedios Varo


(Slideshow is of Artwork by Remedios Varo)
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
--Franz Kafka

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Slow Down

These are the gifts of patience, love, and an attentive eye that Dalton Ghetti gives away to his friends (he does not sell them). By day, he is a carpenter.


The above image is carved from one pencil, and took him about two years.


“The pencil tip is great; it’s like a pure, very homogenous material...It cuts in the same direction, not like wood, which has a grain. But when I tell people how long it takes, that’s when they don’t believe it. That’s what amazes people more, the patience. Because everything nowadays has to be fast, fast, fast." (source)
(Yes, that's Elvis)
“I have an interest in small things in life—insects, moths, spiders. I spend a lot of time observing them. There’s a whole microscopic world out there that people don’t even notice....People look at my sculptures and then they look again, more closely, and they say, ‘Oh, there’s something in there.’ We’re a fast-paced society, and people don’t have time to stop and reflect–it’s all go, go, go. Hopefully these pieces make them stop and realize there is beauty in small things.” (source)



5 comments:

  1. Really amazing! The sculpture in the last photo looks just like Elvis! I was very surprised at these beautiful pencil artworks that I've never seen before!!
    "Patience and fortitude conquer all things” Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! And Elvis looked like Elvis! I'm in awe at the talent, patience, and love that go into his work. Such a small surface on which to work with such incredible results. A Sunday morning tv program did a story on a guy who produces similar art on the tops of pins. But he sells his work, had a museum display in NYC. Perhaps Ghetti doesn't want to go this route, but so many would enjoy at least seeing the work in a display. It's all so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. étonnant , minutieux.. sculptures de patience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine that I'd have time for friends if I could do work like this. Friends take time enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Zoe! What an incredible finding, so elaborately worked pieces, very attractive! Truly, love and patience embodied! Is there any giveaway to the other side of the globe?:)

    ReplyDelete