member of:Observers of the Interdependence of Domestic Objects and Their Influence on Everyday Life


This group has been active for a long time and has already made some remarkable assertions which render life simpler from the practical point of view. For example, I move a pot of green color five centimeters to the right, I push in the thumbtack beside the comb and if Mr. A (another adherent like me) at this moment puts his volume about bee-keeping beside a pattern for cutting out vests, I am sure to meet on the sidewalk of the avenida Madero a woman who intrigues me and whose origin and address I never could have known...
--Remedios Varo


(Slideshow is of Artwork by Remedios Varo)
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
--Franz Kafka

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Eve Reborn as the Phoenix



The feeling of original sin (the devil), of an innate "wrongness" or badness, or just of inadequacy--covered with masks of poise or crazy-making, depending on personality, or even mood. But even the furniture is bored with that story. "The truth will out," as they say.

So, I posted this rather sparse description on Flickr, and zapatil2000 left this fascinating comment:

Some details here make my mind wander towards Gnostic cosmology. The scene reminds me of a prison tower, so maybe it depicts how the Demiurge has captured the self-created earth (the fallen Sophia or cosmic Eve) in the inorganic realm of celestial mechanics where we, according to the Gnostics, are continually fooled by appearances?

Sophia was however able to generate a daughter in her own image, the flame-born timeless life-force, who escaped to unite with the sun to nourish humanity with imagination and vitality from a distance.

As the Phoenix bird! So instead of using perceptual errors in evil or deceptive ways, we can use them for magic, creativity and surrealism, she seems to say.

True or not, that´s the story I saw here.

(And I hope my telling it didn´t bore the furniture! ; ))



Far from boring the furniture, it felt like the precise meaning I've been circling with all my drawings-- and these are details of the story of Sophia and Eve that I had never come across.
Don't miss the link to his Flickr page, as he has fantastic work there...





10 comments:

  1. I really love the sentence, "to bore the furniture" :).
    Aburrir a las piedras podrias decir en español.

    I love the drawing, especially the clock, and the perspective from inside the room that can be seen at the rounded floor and at the upper part of the tower.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, migue, i'm happy that you like it! and i didn't know that phrase, so thank you for that, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Zoe, I always look forward to your world of art and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting drawing, Zoe! And I come here to get to know an interesting expression in both English and Spanish, as well;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely painting, zoe!
    I especially like the moon, stars, the cat, and the snail-like hair in it! I saw zapatil2000's works and found them fabulous!
    Thank you for the link!
    "・・in the inorganic realm of celestial mechanics where we, according to the Gnostics, are continually fooled by appearances?”
    How interesting! It reminds me of what R. Steiner said about celestial spheres...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the drawing, Zoe! It strikes me as perhaps a card from the "Zoe Tarot"; there's certainly a lot of archetypal imagery here. Thinking about the irony of creating art that refers to being fooled by appearances results in a whole other mind-twist! As for the comment, I can only hope to have that degree of facility with words someday... I personally adhere to the philosophy that "a picture is worth a thousand words"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Zoe, what a wonderful drawing... And the stories leave me thinking. At first I also saw a prison tower, and then I noticed it has no roof--I love that starry sky. I like to think that the Phoenix-Eve is also inspired to fly out to freedom. And truth sets us free. Thank you for this amazing post. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sylvia put into words what first caught my eye, Where's the roof? Eve can fly; if only she would.

    GREAT post, Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear zoe

    Thanks so much for your friendship and kind comments this year!!
    Wishing you a fantastic holiday and a happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice and interesting drawing, Zoe. I love her dress and that ornate clock. I hope your holiday is great. Have a fabulous new year. xo

    ReplyDelete