member of:Observers of the Interdependence of Domestic Objects and Their Influence on Everyday Life


This group has been active for a long time and has already made some remarkable assertions which render life simpler from the practical point of view. For example, I move a pot of green color five centimeters to the right, I push in the thumbtack beside the comb and if Mr. A (another adherent like me) at this moment puts his volume about bee-keeping beside a pattern for cutting out vests, I am sure to meet on the sidewalk of the avenida Madero a woman who intrigues me and whose origin and address I never could have known...
--Remedios Varo


(Slideshow is of Artwork by Remedios Varo)
By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
--Franz Kafka

Friday, September 4, 2009

Lost Race Found

Lost Race Found

(to see large, follow the link)

Several times lately, some animal thought to be long-extinct is discovered in some far-off region of the world, doing just fine. This is a moment like that: Plato's Lost Race, the pre-human hermaphrodites, split in half by the gods in punishment for arrogance, each half condemned to wander the Earth in a seemingly endless search for completion.
Here they are, she-he tends the roots and he-she the branches, on swampy, newly forming ground. The proud peacock watching carefully overhead. (Cats are just always necessary.)



Note: This is a new experiment for me.I've been working on this drawing for a while, but I grew furious with the sky and dropped it. Finally, I discovered "free textures" on the flickr page of les brumes, and I borrowed this texture. I photoed my illustration and put it into photoshop, then I made some little changes in the texture I had borrowed and put it over the sky at 57%, and found myself much happier. So, thanks les brumes!

2 comments:

  1. The theme is fascinating... roots and branches, safe into the ground but reaching up to the skies (may be heaven?). I adore that peacock and the mixed texture of the sky, it seems it is also newly forming! Bravo, dear zoe!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! you're so kind :) i was definitely thinking of the connective aspect of the tree, trees seem so spiritual to me (and there's the legba symbolism of communication with the "netherworlds"). we actually have one shaped like this in the backyard! i'm glad you liked the sky, i think the problem with the first sky is that it seemed too solid, too complete...
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete